Propel Youth Arts WA is seeking applications from members to nominate for its Board of Management, offering exciting opportunities to contribute to the direction of young creative people within Western Australia.
What does the Propel Board do?
The Board is the governing body of Propel and is responsible for driving the strategic direction of the organisation whilst maintaining excellent financial health and accountability to laws and industry standards.
Propel is a not-for-profit organisation, so our Board positions are voluntary – but our Board Members enjoy making a difference to an organisation that exists to help young people. Board members also enjoy the experience, interactions and professional development opportunities that being on a board can create.
Propel will be holding its Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Monday 23 April 2018 and this is where nominees will be elected by the members. This year, there will be up to two vacant positions on the Board which may be filled at the AGM.
All of our Board Members come from a range of disciplines. This year, we are particularly interested in receiving nominations from young people (aged between 18 and 26 years) and practicing artists of all ages. Members who are based in regional WA are also strongly encouraged to apply.
If you have experience in one or more of those areas, you could make a valuable contribution to the our Board and participate in:
- Board Meetings – Held up to eight times per year, usually bimonthly, on a weeknight at 6pm.
- Strategic Planning – We hold up to two strategic planning sessions per year.
- Social Events – We usually host one or two social events each year for our staff, members, volunteers, stakeholders, and Board Members.
- Exhibitions and Launches – We run a wide range of interactive programs and projects, and encourage Board Members to attend these events.
Am I eligible?
All current Propel members aged 18 and over are eligible to nominate to become a Board Member, if they have been members of Propel Youth Arts WA for a minimum of one month as at Monday 27 March 2017.
Memberships roll over each year for those under 26, after which time you will need to pay for your membership and renew annually. If you are interested in nominating but are not a current Propel member, that means you have until midnight on Monday 26 February to join Propel and still be eligible.
Not only does Propel membership allow you a chance to be on the Board and give you voting rights at the AGM, you will also receive benefits such as:
- Being part of a state-wide network of youth arts and cultural development organisations, arts workers and young artists
- Free or discounted entry to Propel events, forums and workshops
- Support in your funding applications
- Auspicing grants
- Free subscription to our e-zine and mailing list, featuring news, events and opportunities
- Access to current information, advice and referrals from the friendly Propel team to help develop your arts ideas and practises
- Ongoing advocacy for you and your colleagues
- Access to Propel meeting room
How do I nominate?
For a member to be eligible for election to the Propel Board, they must be nominated and seconded by a Propel member - this can include themselves.
Email your completed nomination with your current CV to email@example.com - or post a hardcopy to Propel Youth Arts WA, PO Box 8238, Perth WA 6849 - by 5.00pm Monday 19 March 2018.
We look forward to receiving your board nomination and hope to work with you to make a difference to young creative people in WA.