The Midnite Youth Theatre Company supports new and emerging writers and is asking for submissions for the 2016 MYTC Playwright Commission.
The commission offers a successful playwright (or writing team) $3,000 to develop a short (45 - 60 minute) script suitable to be performed by actors aged between 14 and 21.
In addition to the commissioning fee the winning script will:
- be programmed as part of The Midnite Youth Theatre Company’s Season;
- tour internationally as part of the MYTC touring program in 2018
We are looking for:
- cast size: 10 – 40 characters
- plays that are driven by and utilise an ensemble cast
Submissions must not exceed 2 pages (11-point font) and must include a:
- brief synopsis
- proposed cast size (see above)
- brief vision for the look and feel of the show e.g. staging elements, technical requirements
- statement from the writer on the impetus for the work
Additionally, writers are encouraged to include up to 4 pages of their existing work reflecting their writing style.
- applicants must be Australian citizen’s resident in the country or hold a Permanent Resident Visa.
- shortlisted applicants will be required to participate in a phone/skype/in-person interview to determine the successful commission.
- applicants must be able to deliver a production ready draft for an early 2017 season
- for applications seeking to adapt extant material (books, poems, songs, games, etc.) the applicant is responsible for securing adaptation rights from the copyright holder. Any fees associated with such rights are the sole responsibility of the applicant. A letter from the copyright holder confirming permission to adapt the original work must be submitted with the application.
Applications must be received by 9.00am, 1 October 2016
Please email applications to email@example.com including the Subject heading: MYTC Playwright Commission. All applicants will be contacted by 31 October, 2016. Only one application will be accepted per writer.